The chickpea and cod stew for Easter is a tradition and a gastronomic luxury that goes far beyond penances and abstinence. It is very enjoyed on these dates, but it is eaten all year round for its nutritional richness and exquisite flavor.
Guiainfantil.com invites us to prepare this rich and healthy recipe that brings together two great ingredients of the kitchen: chickpeas and cod. Besides being delicious, they are nutritious and healthy foods.
- 200 gr of chickpeas
- 250 gr of chard or spinach
- 100 gr of fresh cod
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- Salt to taste
- Sweet paprika
However, the Catholic faithful can rest easy when eating it. Steeped in Lenten rigor, this dish is akin to their beliefs and fits perfectly in abstinence in the consumption of meat as a religious penance.
1. Soak the chickpeas the night before.
2. Desalinate the cod: Submerge the portions in plenty of cold water, adding ice cubes from time to time. The water must be changed every 6 - 8 hours, for a total of about 40 hours.
3. Put the chickpeas in a pot full of hot water and bring it to a boil. In a small saucepan, boil the egg with it for about 10 minutes.
4. When the chickpeas are tender, add the chard or spinach leaves and the shredded cod. It is allowed to simmer so that the broth takes on flavor.
5. In a frying pan, make a sauce with the oil, the chopped onion, the tomato in pieces, the paprika and two bay leaves, stirring from time to time so that a kind of sauce is formed.
6. Once the legume is made, add the sauce and stir. And it's ready!
7. When serving, accompany the soup with pieces of the boiled egg, also as decoration.
Recipe by Isabel Velasco, Jerónima Ruiz, Lugerica Pérez, Juana Santa María and Leonor Corzo - Goya
If you want other recipes for Easter, click here: POTATO RECIPES FOR HOLY WEEK
You can read more articles similar to Chickpea and cod stew for Easter, in the category of Legumes on site.